Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"Declare Yourself" Assignment Clarification/Apology

Yesterday students were assigned some writing work while I was gone. Unfortunately, I made a typo in my instructions. The assignment was to have 8 grievances, each a sentence, and I mistyped the instructions to read a paragraph each. The result was a 10-paragraph work which turned - from many students - into a diatribe about how they get too much homework! Of course, I'm terribly sorry for the typo, but those students who did the work will be rewarded fairly. I don't give too much homework, so while it came as a surprise, I hope students can acknowledge my gratitude for completing a daunting assignment in such short time. Many students were quite creative and enthusiastic, too. I'm sorry, and thanks!

Posted after school today...
After reading some, and browsing through all, I just want to reiterate how pleased I am with all of the work my students have done. Many students used their anger over the assignment as a muse for what to Declare freedom from. I'm sad that my assignment is equal to the tyranny of King George, but I'm very pleased that so many students really "got it," and learned what causes revolution, and what causes a drastic, emotional measure like the Declaration of Independence. Bravo, students!

7 comments:

Workrmom said...

I appreciate you clarifying that assignment. I thought it was a bit much for a one night assignment on top of all the other homework that needed to be done. Needless to say, it was completed but the whole time he was complaining that his hand was cramping I was thinking either the children must have been bad for the sub and this was punishment or that my son just misunderstood the assignment. It makes me feel better that it was not any of the two of those reasons.

Anonymous said...

Ohh it is okay we all still like you to be our social studies teacher.

Anonymous said...

ahh it is okay!!! We forgive you!!!! :-P

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

I was lucky. I was sick the day the homework was assigned!

Anonymous said...

Evrything iz ok w/ DA 7th graders. Most of us knew you were so nice that you wouldn't assign something so rash and terrible, but we did it anyway. GO BEARZ!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you but it wasn't THAT hard!
some people over exagerated. I think we ALL forgive you!